HLTAID005 - Provide First Aid in Remote Situations
REMOTE FIRST AID
This unit covers the skills and knowledge required to provide first aid to a casualty in a remote or isolated area. It is appropriate for those undertaking work or travel in remote/isolated situations.
This unit has a pre-/co-requisite of HLTAID003 Provide First Aid (formerly senior first aid), which must be completed either prior to commencement of the course, or completed in conjunction with it.
3 days if you hold a current Senior First Aid qualification or otherwise 5 day duration.
It is important that you attend each session of this course so that you are eligible to receive a Statement of Attainment. Your qualification will be valid for 3 years and the Australian Resuscitation Council recommends that you attend a CPR refresher every 12 months.
Competencies To Be Achieved During The Training
At the successful completion of this course you will be able to:
- Prepare for isolated travel or work, accounting for expected contingencies
- Assess a casualty’s condition to determine the appropriate response
- Evaluate the options for obtaining medical assistance and/or transporting the casualty
- Monitor a casualty’s condition and undertake ongoing first aid procedures as required
- Provide shelter from the elements and comfort for the casualty
- Establish communications and work in conjunction with medical and emergency services support
- Evaluate management of the incident and participate in debriefing to improve future planning and response
Assessment will be conducted throughout the course to demonstrate if you have achieved the required knowledge and skills of the procedures necessary to manage a life-threatening situations in a remote area.
This will consist of:
- Theory Assessment requiring satisfactory completion of all questions. Students with identified Language, Literacy and Numeracy deficits will be offered an oral assessment if required.
- Practical Skill Competencies – demonstrate competency in all skills as detailed above, conducted in simulated remote conditions.
Students must demonstrate competency in all sections to qualify for a Statement of Attainment. All technical specifications and requirements for this course contact Rob Bryant 0433603068
Paraguard Training and Safety delivers first aid courses within a training partnership with Safelift Consultancy
Evening and weekend courses now available
The Training Hub U4/21
Paxton Way Port Kennedy